Saturday, April 5, 2008

Childhood

To start off with, I'm going to write about a few things from my childhood that involve sleeping, but not necessarily dreaming. When I was little, I would often fall asleep in the most random places that most people would find too uncomfortable to be able to sleep. At times, it led to my family scouring the neighborhood looking for me, only to later find out that I fell asleep under the kitchen table, or underneath the bed, or underneath the couch or behind it. I once fell asleep on top of a box of toys behind the rocking chair.

There are two unusual places that I slept quite often while I was a child (somewhere between the age of 3-6), that were either because of dreams that I had or just my child imagination. In my old house the stairwell curved at the top, so there were two stairs that were triangular and larger than the rest of the stairs. My bedroom was in the basement, but I often fell asleep curled up on one of these triangular stairs because for some reason I thought there was a giant spider in the basement. I didn't just think that it was a large spider, but a spider about the size of an entire room.

There were other times that I would be asleep in my own bed, and I would wake up in the middle of the night. I slept on the bottom bunk, and my older brother, Matt, was on the top. He would leave his white Sunday shirt hanging on the bedpost at the foot of the bed, and when I would wake up and just see that white shirt in the dark I would get scared. I thought that it was Dracula. I would lay in my bed staring at it for a long time, scared to move or make any noise. I would slowly get out of my bed and make my way towards the door while staring at Dracula. I'd make it out of my room and I would go up to my parents bedroom where I would be safe. My parents have a large water bed. The bed overhangs the base by about a foot all around the perimeter. Because I didn't want to wake my parents up, and crawling into a water bed would definitely do so, I would just crawl underneath the overhang and sleep underneath their bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may find that your first lucid dreams will be so thrilling that you simply cannot handle the intense rush of excitement and euphoria. As a result, you may prematurely abort your first few lucid dreams due to this emotional overload. Do not worry too much about it though because with time you will be able to handle it. Becoming emotionally excited is counterproductive so try to be as calm as you can. It may help to maintain the attitude that you are a detached observer, especially in the beginning stages of development.

Secondly, if you find yourself lucid in one of your dreams, simply use verbal commands to guide and control your dream. I have found this to be the MOST successful approach, for me at least. Anything that you need can be summoned or intended. With practice you will be your own best guide. For example, in the beginning say, "BE CALM NOW!" or if you are having trouble seeing, say "INCREASE CLARITY NOW!" or "CREATE VISUALS NOW!". I try to always use a positive form of expression in the present tense and add a touch of urgency, confidence and control.