Monday, April 14, 2008

Dreaming in Portuguese

These next few blogs come from dreams I had while I was a missionary in Brazil. I often attained lucidity in my dreams on my mission when I would be speaking to someone in Portuguese and then realize that that person shouldn't know Portuguese. Most of my these dreams went undocumented, and therefore I don't remember them well enough to write down. However, there are a few dreams that I did write down in my journal. Therefore, these dreams don't come straight from a dream diary, but come from my actual journal; which explains the poor grammar and awkwardness of parts of it (I was forgetting English).
---------------
03-09-05

I just felt like writing down a little bit of some dreams that I remember at least a little bit. 2 nights ago I was sleeping and dreaming. In the dream I was here in Brazil. I was on my mission. I saw John Brooks. I was like, "Hey John!" but he just kept walking and he looked at me a little strange. It was like he was thinking, "who are these guys," or, "Great, missionaries." I asked him if he recognized me and finally he realized it was me. We started talking in Portuguese and I don't remember anything else.

Its not the first time I've dreamed about talking with friends that don't know Portuguese in Portuguese. I remember once I dreamed that I was already back home. I decided to spend a day working at Papa Murphy's for old time's sake. For some reason Bransin was also working there again and Mallory and Lupita were also still working there. Everybody else was new to me. I didn't know the others. So it got slow and we were sitting in the back. Bransin and I were talking but the strange thing was that I was speaking Portuguese and he was speaking Spanish. We were understanding each other and speaking normally and Lupita was just listening, also understanding, but not speaking.

Another time I had a dream that took place after my mission as well. I met Matt Webber. He was with 2 kids that when I think about the dream afterwards seemed like Suzana and Gabriel, but it wasn't them. I talked with him and caught up on old times. We got to talking about the church a little and in the end before having to go I invited him to go to church that Sunday. I left and was walking home when the little girl asked if they could go, too. I said, "Claro que podem!" It was the last thing that I said that I remember that made me realize I was dreaming in Portuguese.

---------------------
John Brooks was my best friend growing up in Kearns. Bransin, Mallory, and Lupita are obviously people that used to work at Papa Murphy's with me. Bransin was also one of my best friends, we would hang out all the time before my mission. Matt Webber was a good friend of mine in elementary school and the beginning of Junior High School. Suzana and Gabriel are two kids that I knew really well from my first area on my mission (the area I was in when I had this dream). "Claro que podem!" means "Of course you can!"

No comments: